IT Consumerization in Education: Top Marks for Tablets
Mobile computing has transformed our lives, both at work and at home. Most young people now see their laptop PC or tablet as an essential part of their educational toolkit, and they expect their teachers to use these technologies too. The City of Liverpool College is one of the first educational institutions in the UK to equip its entire teaching staff with Microsoft Windows* 8 tablets in order to help them meet this expectation while delivering more productive and inspirational instruction. The devices have transformed teaching and assessment, for example enabling teachers to film student presentations and boost the grades of those who struggle with written work.
Multiple devices: The college needed to equip lecturers with Microsoft Windows-based tablet PCs that supported all core applications and programs as well as IT network and support requirements
• Complex processes: It needed to enable staff to easily and quickly access core systems from the classroom, while keeping fleet management hassle-free
• Learning barriers: Teachers needed IT resources that would support and enhance, rather than hinder, teaching and learning activities
• The right tablets: Lenovo Tablet 2* devices powered by Intel® Atom™ processors and running Microsoft Windows 8 Pro were purchased for 600 lecturers
• Windows platform: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro operating system enables enhanced security and easy fleet management, using the new fluid-touch interface
• Ongoing training: Lunchbyte sessions inspire all lecturers to drive value from the college’s tablet investment by learning how to use technology in the classroom themselves
• Efficient teachers: Lecturers save time with in-class access to the student attendance tracking system and the ability to edit documents on their mobile devices
• Interactive teaching: Teachers are no longer tied to desktop PCs within the classroom, but can interact directly with student
Read the full IT Consumerization in Education: Top Marks for Tablets Case Study.